EDUC-5333 Week 2

Digital Story Review

Snowfall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek
John Branch | The New York Times

















I chose the story Snow Fall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek because the author, John Branch, spoke about one of my favorite subjects — snow! The story also had to do with my favorite season — Winter. However, I was not prepared for the harrowing experiences the participants of the story were about to face. What started as an attraction to the beauty and power of nature turned into reflections on risks associated with backcountry adventures, and the emotional impact of the tragedies to those concerned (Branch, n.d.). The raw, immersive storytelling by the author totally drew me in.


PART 1: How do the choices made by the author engage audience members?  If music is used, what effect does it have on you? If graphics or animation is included, how do they enhance the story?  If the story is interactive, what are you able to explore?

Throughout the story, the choices of the author create engagement far above average through his style of immersive storytelling. Parallax video scenes interspersed with interactive slideshows and video cameos provide a dynamic storyline that stirs deep emotions within the reader. The movement of the videos as you scroll gives a sense that you are a part of the environment, almost like experiencing the aftermath of the avalanche. Subtle and yet poignant, music lays a veneer of emotion over what has been lost, making it all the more real and heavy throughout the videos. Interactive elements allow the reader to experience the mountain's surroundings through the use of maps and radar imagery along with personal narratives that deepened my knowledge of the event.

PART 2: What educational value do you see in the story?  What content and ISTE standards are addressed by the creation of the story?  What age group is the target audience? What connections do you see to your content area or grade-level instruction?

I found Branch's story to be full of teachable moments — from the unpredictability of nature to the power of the human spirit and, most importantly, the use of caution and protection in extreme sports. 

The story fits with the ISTE standards, such as the Creative Communicator, in which students curate a variety of resources, analyze them, and develop an interpretation based on that analysis (ISTE Standards: for Students, 2024).

The digital story also aligns with Oklahoma Academic Standards, particularly in English Language Arts and Social Studies. For ELA, the story encourages critical reading, analysis of narrative structure, and multimedia integration, fulfilling standards related to analyzing multimedia content and evaluating how it contributes to the story’s meaning (12.3.R.3). In Social Studies, it provides opportunities to explore human-environment interactions and the impact of natural events on communities, which align with geography and current event standards (3.B.9-12.3) (Oklahoma Department of Education, 2024).

The elements of the story fit a high school or advanced middle school curriculum, especially in classes such as geography, media studies, or journalism. It also pertains to my instructional design focus, showing how digital storytelling might present complex experiences through the use of mixed media.

PART 3: Based on Ohler's and Lambert's guidance for story creation, what connections do you see to the story you have focused on?  What type of story is it? Construct and share a simple story map.

"Snow Fall" aligns with Ohler's and Lambert's storytelling principles by emphasizing a narrative flow with an emotional resonance. The use of digital media enhances and lifts the story into a vivid story world. It falls into the category of a narrative nonfiction story, with a focus on real events and the personal experiences of the members. A simple story map using Aristotle's Story Map (Ohler, 2013) might look something like this:

  • Setting the Scene: Introduction to Tunnel Creek and the skiers’ background.
  • Conflict: The avalanche occurs, trapping members of the group.
  • Climax: The discovery of the fatalities and the survivors' realization of the tragedy.
  • Resolution: The rescue efforts and the emotional aftermath.
  • Reflection: Survivors and loved ones process their loss and experiences.
The digital story I am developing aligns with both Ohler's and Lambert's emphasis on emotional depth and personal experience. Ohler’s approach to digital storytelling focuses on using narrative to provoke thought and reflection. I think Lambert emphasizes more authenticity and connection with the reader. My story addresses both of these by exploring themes of empathy, the unseen struggles of others, and our impact of small actions, aiming for a deep emotional connection with the reader.

Type of Story: My story is a narrative-driven and reflective story. It will combine personal experiences with broader societal observations. It blends elements of social awareness with transforming characteristics. 

Story Map:
  • Setting the Scene: Introduce the young professional and the struggling teen, showing their daily lives and contrasting backgrounds.
  • Conflict: The teen’s struggles with life challenges are visible in subtle moments, unnoticed by the professional.
  • Climax: A moment of unexpected kindness from the teen changes the professional's perspective.
  • Resolution: The professional reflects on his missed opportunities to connect and decides to be more attentive.
  • Reflection: The story ends with the professional contemplating the small but powerful impact of reaching out, highlighting the story's themes of empathy and awareness.
The story's structure follows a classic story arc while incorporating Ohler's and Lambert's storytelling elements. The goal is to promote a focus on transformation through personal connections.

References:

Branch, J. (n.d.). Snow Fall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/index.html#/?part=tunnel-creek

ISTE Standards: for Students. (2024). International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). https://iste.org/standards/students

Oklahoma Department of Education. (2024). Oklahoma Academic Standards. https://sde.ok.gov/oklahoma-academic-standards

Ohler, J. (2013, November 18). How to Make a Story - Process Notes. Storyconcepts. https://storyconcepts.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. Brad,
    Great post! I did not choose this one, mostly because I figured it would be scary. I am already afraid of skiing, and reading about an avalanche would like make that worse. However, your post has changed my mind, and I think I will go look this one over and learn about the experience of these people. I also really liked the comment about teachable moments including the human spirit; that is often overlooked as something to be taught, especially to vulnerable teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth for taking time to review the overview I provided! As a teenager, I wish I would've had someone stress the significance of the human spirit in taking chances.

      Delete
  2. What a great review! I didn't pick this one because it was about my least favorite topic-snow and my least favorite season- Winter, but I enjoyed your review. I can see how this would be valuable for students to learn from and how it could fit into many different subject areas. Your review has made me reconsider reading this article, I am interested in clicking through some of the interactive features you mentioned. I also enjoyed looking at your story maps (it was a nice "sneak peek" of the reading).
    -Samantha Kissko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, This topic was a seat grabber, as you had mentioned above when enjoying nature and sports you have to take all the precautionary measures. I too love snow but just to play in then it's back to Texas for me. It does have many teachable moments, Planning ahead is the biggest. Watch the weather, ensure you have the proper gear. Avalanches are scary not to mention deadly, I enjoyed your view points on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brad! Great job! I almost reviewed the digital story Snowfall to review also. I felt it was very close to the digital story I am choosing to write. I can see where this story would be perfect for a an upper level language arts class as it touches on many of the Oklahoma Standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brad! Your insights into the educational value of the story highlight its alignment with ISTE standards and Oklahoma Academic Standards, making it a powerful resource for high school and advanced middle school curricula.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment